The Innovation Zone at Display Week is now one of the show’s marquee events, with attendees packing the I-Zone area to see live demonstrations of emerging display technologies. The number of I-Zone exhibitors has more than doubled, from 22 in 2012 to more than 50 in 2018. Last year, the show created two separate areas for the I-Zone, to accommodate both exhibitors and show goers.
The I-Zone, sponsored annually by E Ink, provides space for not-yet-commercialized prototypes and proof of concepts for three days free of charge on a dedicated area of the show floor at the premier display exhibition in North America. If you represent a small company, startup, university, government lab, or independent research labs and have cutting-edge display-related technology to demonstrate, the I-Zone committee wants to see your proposal.
For a look at a recent outstanding I-Zone technology, watch this interview with representatives of Hong Kong University, the winners of last year’s Best Prototype Award for their field-sequential liquid-crystal display without a color filter.
Proposals for demonstrating new displays, input technologies, and innovations in related fields such as lighting and organic electronics will all be considered by the committee. Technologies should be in the pre-product stage or at least have been on the market no earlier than January 2019. Demos that will be shown for the first time in a public forum at I-Zone are especially encouraged. Selections will be based on the novelty, interest, and quality of the prototype to be exhibited as described in the proposal. If a proposal is accepted, applicants must cover their own expenses, including travel, lodging, and the creation of a table-top exhibit demonstrating their prototypes. A knowledgeable person must be on hand on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, May 14-16, while the I-Zone is open to all attendees, to run the demonstration and answer questions.
The final deadline for applying to the 2019 I-Zone at Display Week is March 22, 2019.
Before submitting your application, please make sure that:
• Your product or technology represents a novel advancement.
• Your product or technology is not on the market or at least was not on the market before January 2019.
In addition to filling out the submission form, your entry should include:
• A 100-word abstract describing your project, its innovation, and problem it is designed to solve or capability it will offer.
• A one-page summary describing in more detail the novelty and potential application for your product.
• Any relevant photographs, videos (no longer than 3 minutes), or diagrams. Note: links to videos or high-resolution imagery are preferred to attachments
2019 applications are now open! Apply here
For any questions related to the I-Zone, please email: I-Zone@sid.org
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The 2018 I-Zone honorees were:
• Dimenco, founded in 2010 by former Philips engineers, showed its newest LC alignment layer for switchable lenses in the I-Zone
• Hong Kong Beida Jade Bird Display Hong Kong Beida Jade Bird Display (JBD) showed an active-matrix microLED in a chip format
with 5K pixels per inch and 1 million cd/m2of luminance (green rated at 500 lu, red rated at 300 lu, blue at 250 lu).
• PlayNitride, Inc., created a transparent display using a unique process to transfer its RGB microLEDs onto the backplane substrate.
The group showed a 3.12-in. diagonal 256 × 256 resolution, transparent, full-color RGB microLED display with a luminance of more
than 800 cd/m2and a wide color gamut
• XTPL SA has developed technology that enables ultraprecise printing of nanomaterials. According to the company, the XTPL solution
allows users to repair interrupted thin conductive lines in the production stage, without complicated, slow, and expensive vacuum processes.
IGM, University of Stuttgart, in partnership with Hella KGaA Hueck & Co.
The 2017 I-Zone honorees were:
• Jasper Display Corporation and glō for a megapixel silicon backplane (4K × 2K) and spatial light modulator technology for microdisplays.
• Turtle Beach and Nepes Display for HyperSound Glass, the world’s first highly directional and transparent parametric speaker.
nVerpix Takes Best Prototype Honors in the I-Zone
I-Zone 2016 Winner Interview
Ubiquitous Energy for its ClearView Power Energy Harvesting technology
I-Zone 2015 Winner Interview
Ostendo Technologies for a novel Quantum Photonic Imager display device.
I-Zone 2014 Winner Interview
Shinoda Plasma Co., Ltd., for a new film-type display using plasma tube arrays.
I-Zone 2013 Winner Interview
Best Prototype at Display Week 2012
Tactus Technology, for transparent physical buttons that rise up from a touchscreen surface on demand
I-Zone 2012 Participant Tactus Technology's VP of Business Development commented on their firm's experience as follows:
Tactus chose SID as the venue to launch our company. The event has a good mix of press, analysts, technologists and potential customers, so we thought it an ideal opportunity. We were very excited when we learned about the new I-Zone section of the show and were eager to apply for participation. Given that this was going to be our first show, the team was elated when we learned that we were selected as a participant.
The show was a non-stop flood of people. We made some very good new contacts, and also connected with companies with which we had already established relationships. The icing on the cake was when it was announced that we had won the best prototype award. It was very validating. We then had the opportunity to join the awards luncheon and be recognized with the likes of LG, Samsung and Qualcomm. Along with our launch at the show, we ramped up our PR efforts. We sent out our release the morning of the show and met with a few key reporters at the show to brief them on the announcement that we would be demoing at SID. The buzz just grew from there. Within the week, there were more than 150 articles written, more than 2.5 million people who read the news about us, and more than 1 million people who watched our product video. You can check the major news outlets that covered us from our website: http://www.tactustechnology.com/news.html